Serving Buffalo and the Southtowns for more than 100 years.
In August 1895, an article in the Illustrated Buffalo Express said, “the Lakeside Cemetery lies in a beautiful location, nine miles from Buffalo. It is halfway surrounded by a fine grove of old forest trees, and is within sight and sound of the waves that lap the shores of Lake Erie. There are beautiful drives and walks, winding through the groves of trees and among the several sections that have been graded and prepared ready for the sale of lots. The Association has wrought a wonderful change in this tract of 250 acres of land that has been fenced in, and will hereafter be held sacred as God’s acre. Every improvement and custom known to the builders of modern cemeteries has been adopted. The cultivation of flowers and plants has been given particular attention by Cemetery officials, and the visitor finds an endless variety of flowers and shrubbery, located in different nooks and picturesque parts of the grounds. The Lakeside Cemetery, in its natural beauty is a welcome addition, we are compelled to say, a very necessary one to Buffalo’s list of places for the burial of her dead.”
Lakeside Cemetery officially opened in 1896. At that time, the stone gateway formed the carriage entrance to the cemetery from Rogers Road. The Lakeside Railroad receiving stop formed the other entrance. Although described as a railroad station, the current office building always served as a chapel and office for the cemetery, and it was also used for funeral services. Back then, the bodies would have been taken off the train and stored in a receiving vault located across from the main office until burial took place.
The office building is constructed of local fieldstone and boulders in a vaguely Romanesque style, creating a rustic effect, which adds to the beauty and naturalness of the grounds. It features arched doors and windows and stone pillars that support bracketed eaves. There are also two stone fireplaces inside, constructed of yellow Roman brick with egg and dart terra cotta molding.
Lakeside became part of The Forest Lawn Group in 1998. This merger allows Lakeside to continue to offer the finest in perpetual care. The Forest Lawn Group also operates Forest Lawn Cemetery on Delaware Avenue in Buffalo, St. Matthew's Cemetery on Clinton Street in West Seneca, and Williamsville Cemetery on Main Street in Williamsville.
As the cemetery has grown to meet the needs of the community at large, our mission has remained the same: to provide a dignified, attractive cemetery in an atmosphere that is warm and personal.